Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Jill's Favorites - Foam Rollers

Hello:

This week I'd like to tell you about one of my favorite things, the foam roller.

I was having nagging aches in my quads this summer (the kind where your legs just hurt all the time) from cycling and wanted to find an alternative to popping ibuprofen and regular massages weren't an option due to my limited budget. A personal trainer at the gym suggested using a foam roller to get rid of the places in my legs where my muscles were chronically tight. Basically, you use your own body weight and roll on the roller to break up trigger points in the muscles, and soothe tight fascia (connective tissue) while increasing blood flow and circulation to the soft tissues.This technique works as a kind of deep tissue massage and feels similar to Active Release Therapy. The foam roller can be used on the legs, calves shoulders, lower back etc.

The first few times
, the pain was so intense, especially on the knots (which is where it's important to focus the rolling), it literally brought tears to my eyes. But it was a good kind of pain - I could literally feel those knots breaking up. Breathing while you do it certainly does help (as there is a tendency to not). Wanting to be able to roll my legs at home, I bought one at Relax the Back. SPRI products also sells them. Now I use it before and/or after I cycle or run on my quads, hamstrings, IT band and lower back and my muscles feel less gunky, tight and heavy.

It's ideal if you can have a fitness instructor show you the variety of ways to roll. Also there are many instructional videos on You Tube that explain in greater detail different ways to use it. The first few times can feel a bit awkward, though, once you get the technique down it's pretty easy to use.

Rollers are pretty affordable and make a nice gift for the fitness fanatic (even if that fanatic is you).

Perhaps the foam roller will become one of your new favorites.

Happy Thanksgiving. Talk to you next week.

xxoo,

Jill


Photos: Relax the Back, About.com









No comments: